Wednesday 26 October 2011

Brix Smith-Start stepping out in my Black Widow mask tonight

Yesterday I finished creating the Halloween window for Start London. So get down to Rivington Street, Shoreditch and check it out! I had a really fun time working there thanks to all the amazing and friendly staff. The women's store is now temporary home to six of my large scale Day of the Dead skulls (with one more - the biggest skull - hanging in the men's store) as well as a collection of my smaller bijoux skulls. The skulls are of course inspired by original Mexican heads, but also by images of Frida Kahlo, tattoos and old English rhyme.

Matching stripes! - me and Brix in store

For the main window I made three Black Widow masks to put on the mannequins (see below). Brix is wearing one of these masks to a Halloween party tonight, so I'm looking forward to seeing the photos! These I crafted from card, fabric, netting and ribbon and finished with my handmade paper flowers. I then painted shocking pink silhouettes of symbols such as hearts, skulls and horse shoes on to the window itself. At the feet of the mannequins I made a bed of Mexican inspired fabric flowers and sat two of the large skulls (the Magician and the Gypsy) amidst them. And to finish, also on the window, I painted my tattoo logo and four tattoo inspired flowers.

At the moment I am in the process of creating a short film documenting the installation of the window - shot and edited by Rebecca Kenyon. I will post it up on Monday so check back then. 

Through the window - chatting to Philip Start

No comments: